In February 1950 an ordinance was passed providing badges and cap-pieces for the
"Sheriff's Emergency Reserve".
Duties pertained to local disaster control and assisting the Sheriff's Department in
handling local functions of civic benefit in the unincorporated areas which were
served by the Sheriff's Stations.
They were called out on fires, floods, earthquakes and rescue work. Their duties
were restricted compared to the regular reserve deputies.
The Emergency Reserves were known in the Department as the "tan" reserves, by
the uniform they wore. They merged into the "green" or regular reserves in July,
Certificate of appointment for
Emergency Reserve Dated Jan. 1942
In 1939 the war in Europe began to deteriorate. Under
the leadership of Sheriff Biscailuz the Department
developed a civil defense posture.
The Department deputized private boat owners who were
to patrol the harbors and coastline.
The Coast Patrol became dormant after the war.
From collection of P. Olvey.
From collection of P. Olvey
Emergency Guard. Use and date unk.
Courtesy of PatchBook